The explanation for the symbols of the American Flag
The flag of the United States of America was adopted on 14 June 1777, less than a year after the country became independent and has adopted its Constitution (July 4, 1776), but the current flag dates only from 1960. It was preceded by a flag with horizontal red and white stripes, which bore, like all British colony, the Union Jack on its canton.
In reality, the flag of the United States has never evolved in its design and colours, which were chosen immediately when creating the first flag. It then only evolved compared to the number of federal states which gradually joined the country. Indeed, the state of Hawaii was the latest to, 21 August 1959 (50th state), which is why a star was added in the canton of the flag (upper left corner the tail).Till, only 49 stood. USA is a very patriotic country, that fought really hard for its independence, and really cares for its territories. The Stars and Stripes or Old Glory, as it is also called, has been designed to represent each of the federated states and its founding states. It consists of 13 stripes (7 red and 6 white) arranged horizontal, to the wind*, the right side of the flag. These bands represent the 13 states that federated the first to give birth to the United States of America.
Created from 1607 to 1732, the secessionist states come together in 1775 to sign the Declaration of Independence of the United States, a year later. This will cause the War of Independence, and the country's independence. Those states are: Virginia, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maryland, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Delaware, North Carolina, South Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and Georgia. All these states are represented by horizontal stripes of the flag, but they also each have a star in the canton. Because this canton put together as stars, all federal states in the country, who were afterwards added.
From 13 stars of the creation, it increased to 15 in 1795. It is also the only flag that made an evolution from 13 to 15 stripes. From 1818, even though the number of stars increased, only 13 stripes always remained, to show that only 13 states fought for the creation of the United States. thatís why the flag often changed (sometimes on very short periods of one year) until 1960. Outside of the first developments of 1795, all new states were systematically integrated on 4th July following their administrative integration. The current flag is the one that was longer in service, with an activity of more than 52 years.
You can download it in different sizes, in a decidedly modern design for your personal use, or for wider use. USA's flag is available in 4 different sizes.
Any use of our flags on the web has to lead to a link to this page as the source
If the use is made in the context of a site generating income, or for the purpose of generating income, a DMCA statement (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) will be filed.
- Full name : United States of America
- Currency in USA : United States Dollar
- Total area : 3,794,101 square miles
- Capital of USA: Washington D.C.
- Biggest city : New York City
- Main Cities : New York, Los angeles, Chicago
- Resolution: Icon Size: 200 x 100 px - Blog Size: 500 x 250 px - Website Size: 800 x 400 px - Wallpaper Size: 1500 x 750 px.
- Keywords: Flag usa wallpaper, American, United States of America, National american flag, banner, pictogram, country, icon, USA icon, international, Washington D.C., New York, Los angeles, Chicago, North America.
- Several sizes are available, use them ! The size L corresponds rather to use on a personal website or a powerpoint. Finally size XL is dedicated to large format printing and wallpapers.
- This page has been viewed 10904 times.
- License for the flag: Free for personal use only, non-commercial use.